The nominees for the 60th GRAMMY Awards have been announced. Don’t really care about most of them, but let’s take a look at the country categories. As always, I’ll give you my thoughts and almost-always-right predictions, but at first glance, it’s not looking good…
Best Country Solo Performance
- Sam Hunt – ‘Body Like A Back Road’ – It’s broken every record out there, but…
- Alison Krauss – ‘Losing You’
- Queen Miranda Lambert – ‘Tin Man’ – Deep, meaningful, beautiful, but…
- Maren Morris – ‘I Could Use A Love Song’ – Really weak list, but my favourite out of the bunch.
- Chris Stapleton – ‘Either Way’ – Which song is that again?
Best Country Duo/Group Performance
- Brothers Osborne – ‘It Ain’t My Fault’ – Loving this so much recently.
- Zac Brown Band – ‘My Old Man’
- Lady Antebellum – ‘You Look Good’ – Fun song, but probably won’t win.
- Little Big Town – ‘Better Man’ – Will probably win.
- Midland – ‘Drinkin’ Problem’ – Wonderfully surprised. One can hope, but unlikely.
Best Country Song (A Songwriter(s) Award. (Artist names appear in brackets.)
- Taylor Swift (Little Big Town) – ‘Better Man’ – Queen T has to win!
- Zach Crowell, Sam Hunt, Shane McAnally & Josh Osborne, songwriters (Sam Hunt) – ‘Body Like A Back Road’ – Some really talented people went into this, but…
- Mike Henderson & Chris Stapleton, songwriters (Chris Stapleton) – ‘Broken Halos’
- Jess Carson, Cameron Duddy, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne & Mark Wystrach, songwriters (Midland) – ‘Drinkin’ Problem’ – Yesss! Again, what a great surprise. Definitely the best one here!
- Jack Ingram, Miranda Lambert & Jon Randall, songwriters (Miranda Lambert) – Tin Man’
Best Country Album
- Kenny Chesney – ‘Cosmic Hallelujah’
- Lady Antebellum – ‘Heart Break’ – My 2nd choice. Great album!
- Little Big Town – ‘The Breaker’
- Thomas Rhett – Life Changes’ My 1st Really hope he wins, but I don’t think he will.
- Chris Stapleton – ‘From A Room: Volume 1’ – A couple of really good songs, and will probably win.
Okay, seriously, what’s going on? Do the people choosing the nominees not listen to country music? So many great artists and songs are missing. Really glad they picked up on Midland’s talent, and really want Thomas Rhett to win Best Album, but it seems like the GRAMMYs have lost the plot, so I’m not getting my hopes up.